Design of industrial managed L2 switch
Manufacturer of rugged and industrial communication equipment.
To develop a line of industrial managed gigabit switch equipment with 8 and 16 ports.
We created reference designs of industrial managed switches with 10Gbase-X and 10/100/1000Base-T ports. The hardware platform of these layer 2 networking devices was based on the Microchip VSC74xx switch controller and Linux kernel.
Microchip (ex. Microsemi) is a market-leading IC vendor of industrial Ethernet switching, PHY, SyncE PLL and PoE technology. That's why our engineers decided to use the Microchip VSC74xx switch controller to design a custom industrial switch appliance.
The VSC74xx controller has 500 MHz MIPS CPU and enables full management of Layer 2 and Layer 3 Ethernet switch solutions. A sophisticated and well-documented SDK allowed fast development and integration of software functions.
The designed network switch appliances feature:
- 2 or 4 10Gbase-X ports for SFP and SFP+ modules
- 8 or 16 10/100/1000Base-T ports, PoE enabled
- RS-232 and USB-device ports for console
- USB-2.0 host for removable media
Software functions of the switches:
- Embedded web-interface
- IPv4/v6 support
- NTP server/client
- DHCP server/client
- IGMP snooping
- SNMP v1/2/3
The standards supported:
- IEEE 802.1D – Spanning Tree Protocol
- IEEE 802.1w – Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol
- IEEE 802.1ag – Connectivity Fault Management
- IEEE 802.3ad for Port Trunk with LACP
- IEEE 802.1s – Multiple Spanning Tree Protocol
- IEEE 802.1Q – VLAN tagging
- IEEE 802.1p – Class of Service
- IEEE 802.1X – Authentication
- IEEE 802.1ax – Link Aggregation
Our customer received a series of new products for simple network management.
Promwad engineering team rendered the following services to the customer:
— Specification development and components selection