Android-based TV for Digital Signage
Vestel Electronics is a popular manufacturer of home and professional appliances. It is a holding of 18 companies that specialise in electronics, major appliances, and TV solutions. Vestel devices are available in 2,500 retail stores around the world.
Our goal was to help the customer with the bring-up and system components integration.
Together with the client, we participated in both solution architecture and software development. Here are some examples of our project tasks:
- Customization of standard Android apps according to the customer's business logic.
- Implementation of energy-saving algorithms based on backlight level change depending on the input video signal.
- Development of additional system services to provide access to system/hardware resources.
- Touchscreen support integration + device rotation support.
- Help the customer develop UI applications + third-party application integration.
- Improvements to the update system and remote control integrations.
- Support for OPS device (Open Pluggable Specification) and RTC + power mode control.
We have addressed all the client's engineering challenges. Below you can find a detailed description of the design products and the stages of the project.
The Android-based TV will be used as an interactive flat-panel display (IFPD) or a video wall in the digital signage market.
1. Hardware design
The hardware platform is AMLogic SoC for TV devices (T962X3). Its key features:
- screens sizes: 49, 55, 65 inches with 4K video resolution;
- HDMI1-4, DisplayPort, USB Type-C, OPS + V-by-One/LVDS interfaces;
- touchscreen and accelerometer.
2. Software development
The device runs Android Pie (9.0). The AOSP code version was provided by AMLogic with their T962X3 support.
We helped our client to design a new product for the digital signage market and equip it with the software and hardware features the Vestel company needs to make it stand out from the competitors: touchscreen support integration, various remote control integrations, OPS device support, and more. Our customer's products are successfully exported to 156 countries around the world, thanks to the constant incorporation of the latest technology into their designs.