Locus digital DVB-T STB
Under the order of Locus, a Russian company, we have developed a digital TV set-top box (STB) with support for DVB-T (MPEG-2/4) and terrestrial digital broadcasting. The device is based on the STi 5205 processor by STMicroelectronics, as well as OS Linux. It is controlled through buttons on the front panel, or remote control.
Locus DVB-T STB is designed for the lower price range, which is why the special focus of the development process was the optimization of the bill of materials (BOM).
The customer’s goal behind this development was to create the first device in a line of products for direct delivery of digital content to consumers. Locus, a leader in the market of terrestrial television antennas and TV reception equipment, planned to diversify its business through this STB.
A clean license for the development was obtained through the purchase of rights to use the following technologies: DVB; MP3; MPEG-2 and (copyright: MPEG LA); AAC (copyright: Via Licensing).
Key features of digital DVB-T STB
- Low cost and a minimum number of components
- Use of chips by one company to facilitate technical support
- Full-featured software and graphic user interface
- Use of software and hardware graphics acceleration
- Support for popular user-defined functions:
- Electronic Program Guide (EPG)
- TV scheduler which plays programs on schedule
- Selecting and saving favorite channels
- Editing channels
- Playing music and pictures from USB flash
- Multi-language interface
Technical parameters of Locus DVB-T STB
Locus DVB-T STB was developed on a turn-key basis. Promwad experts completed the following tasks:
— Hardware platform development